Support the team building MODX with a monthly donation.
The budget raised through OpenCollective is transparent, including payouts, and any contributor can apply to be paid for their work on MODX.
$405 per month—let's make that $500!Learn more
What is getFeed?¶
A simple snippet to retrieve an RSS feed and iterate the feed items using a Chunk.
- MODX Revolution 2.0.0-RC-2 or later
- PHP5 or later
getFeed was written by Jason Coward as a simple feed reading component, and first released on June 11th, 2010.
Development and Bug Reporting¶
getFeed is stored and developed in GitHub, and can be found here:http://github.com/splittingred/getFeed
Bugs can be filed here: http://github.com/splittingred/getFeed/issues
getFeed is used by placing the Snippet call into your content and passing a 'url' parameter:
|url||URL of the feed to retrieve.|
|tpl||Name of a chunk to serve as an item tpl. If blank, will output the placeholders as arrays.|
|limit||Limit the number of items to return; 0 is no limit.||0|
|offset||The zero-based index of the item to start at in the feed results.||0|
|totalVar||The name of a placeholder where the total number of items in the feed is stored. For getPage compatibility.||total|
|toPlaceholder||If set, will set the output to this placeholder name. If not set, will output directly the results.|
Since different feeds return different placeholders, what is best to get the placeholders available is to pass getFeed without a 'tpl' parameter. This will then show you an array of fields and their values. Their 'indexes', or the key of each array item, can be used in a placeholder.
Some common placeholders are:
- title - The title of the post.
- link - A direct link to the post.
- description - The description of the post.
- pubdate - The date the post was published.
- guid - The GUID of the post.
- author - The name of the author of the post.
- category - Any tags or category associations the post has.
- summary - A short summary of the post.
- date_timestamp - The timestamp of the post.