Last updated Apr 7th, 2021 | Page history | Improve this page | Report an issue
Support the team building MODX with a monthly donation.
The budget raised through OpenCollective is transparent, including payouts, and any contributor can apply to be paid for their work on MODX.
$292 per month—let's make that $500!Learn more
What is Rampart?¶
Rampart is a robust anti-spam tool for MODX Revolution. It can be used to help prevent spam registrations and postings on your MODX Revolution site, as well as provides DNS blacklisting. It can also currently be integrated into either the Register snippet, Quip comments, or into any FormIt-powered form.
- MODX Revolution 2.0.7 or later
- PHP5 or later
- mcrypt PHP extension
- Login Extra, version 1.5.2 or later
Rampart was written by Shaun McCormick and first released on January 26th, 2011.
It can be downloaded from within the MODX Revolution manager via Package Management, or from the MODX Extras Repository, here: https://modx.com/extras/package/rampart
Development and Bug Reporting¶
Rampart is stored and developed in GitHub, and can be found here:http://github.com/splittingred/Rampart
Bugs can be filed here: http://bugs.modx.com/projects/Rampart
Rampart currently comes with 3 Snippets:
- preHook.RampartRegister - Handles spam prevention when using the Register snippet.
- hook.RampartFormIt - Hook that can be used to integrate Rampart into any FormIt-based form.
- hook.RampartQuip - Hook that can be used to integrate Rampart into Quip comments.
It also comes with a Custom Manager Page, where you can manage your banlist, moderate flagged users, and view attempts your bans caught.
Enabling Project Honey Pot DNS Blacklisting¶
Rampart comes with integration for Project Honey Pot, a anti-spam service that prevents spam harvesters and comment spammers access to your site entirely. Through the RampartWall plugin, Rampart will completely prevent access to your site for IPs flagged by Project Honey Pot, and will automatically add them to the Rampart Ban list.
You can enable the HoneyPot integration by setting the appropriate values for the following System Settings:
- rampart.honeypot.access_key - Set this to your Access Key you received for your HoneyPot account. This is required for the integration to work.
- rampart.honeypot.enabled - When you've setup your Access Key, set this to 'Yes' to enable the HoneyPot integration. You can set this to 'No' at any time to disable HoneyPot checks.